Bold font rendering

Guanpeng Xu herberteuler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 11:49:07 UTC 2017

Hello,

I found an issue on bold font rendering in KDE Frameworks 5.37.0 using Qt
5.9.1, on NixOS 17.09.1502.19879836d1.

The issue was previously discussed here: https://marc.info/?l=kde&m=150
728730630509&w=2 The discussion there seems to suggest that it has
something to do with QML.

This issue is about rendering bold fonts on some widgets, while using some
styles.

This first snapshot, of choosing window decorator in System Settings, shows
the different effects of bold fonts in three different styles:

​
It can be seen that only Plastik renders bold text on the title bar
correctly.

​

​
The two snapshots above show the rendering effects of bold fonts in the
bottom panel. All except the fonts in the digital clock below are not
rendered correctly. The style used is Fusion. The result is the same in the
default style Breeze.

And, I am not sure if this is related, but some Chinese characters are not
anti-aliased in the GTK-based program Nightly in Breeze.

​In the above snapshot, the Chinese characters in the title bar, using the
Plastik style, are anti-aliased, while the ones on the Nightly tab, using
the Breeze style, are not.

​A similar result. The blue "查看历史" is rendered by Nightly, and is
anti-aliased. The one in the text field is not. Note also that Latin
characters are anti-aliased correctly, as shown by the gray "Search" in the
search bar.

Best regards,
Guanpeng Xu