qqc2-desktop-style as framework

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Oct 14 11:41:13 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 17:06:46 CEST Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> we have a qtquickcontrols style that is right now in workspace (unrelased,
> to be released with Plasma 5.11)
> it makes controls paint with qstyle to give it a reasonable desktop
> appearance, plus some fixes/workarounds to make qml a bit more desktop
> friendly (for instance fixes scrollwheel issues with Flickable)
> sice it's pretty much untenable to make a desktop application with
> QtQuickControls2 without it and make it look anything near "native", so
> releasing it together plasma is probably not enough.
> Applications using kirigami should be able to explicitly depend from it if
> they want, to require a native-looking look and feel on linux desktops (even
> on gnome would look already marginally better than with the stock
> "universal" or "material" styles)
>
> it's a thing with no api, no libraries (not even an import, qqc2 styles work
> a bit differently), so as with kirigami only source compatibility on the
> qml- side will matter
>
> any objection into pulling it into a framework? anything particular for the
> procedure?

Observations while trying to add this to the KF5 Yocto recipes:
- it shows up as Tier 1 on https://api.kde.org/frameworks/index.html but seems
to have a hard dependency on Kirigami
- it seems to be licensed LGPLv3 + GPLv2, which doesn't match what https://
community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy says about KF5 code (see item 4).

Regards,
Volker