Request for discussion on mycroft plasmoid project path

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 10:05:23 UTC 2017

On martedì 28 novembre 2017 10:11:08 CET Aditya Mehra wrote:
> I understand there is "extra-gears" where i can do self releases and "plasma
> addons", which i am keenly interested in for release for this plasmoid so I
> would like to initiate a discussion on where this project should live and
> what are the plasma team's view on this.

I think it basically boils down to one choice: releasing it under extragear,
or in one repository under workspace (wether is a standalone repo or under
kdeplasma-addons is another issue)

the difference is that if it's on extragear, you release when you want and
have to manage releases by yourself,
if it's under workspace you are tied to plasma releases.

another thing to consider is that it would introduce mycroft dependencies to
the standard plasma releases, which is probably a bit too early? (we probably
want that in the long term tough)
personally i would be more confident i think if it has few releases in
extragear (and we push for distros to include it anyways) and then include in
standard plasma releases at some point

> document: https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Release_Schedules_Guide but
> it seems more for applications than for plasmoids - Also are bugfixes
> allowed for plasmoids in an already released stable, as mycroft-core is a
> product outside the scope of KDE release cycle and upstream mycroft could
> introduce a new feature or bug that can break some functionality how would
> such an event generally be dealt with in stable ?

yes, if it's in extragear you would do bugfix releases by yourself, if in
workspace they would do in the bugfix releases of the whole plasma

--
Marco Martin