Request for discussion on mycroft plasmoid project path

Aditya Mehra aix.m at outlook.com
Tue Nov 28 09:11:08 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

Some background to the discussion:
Mycroft Plasmoid is a graphical user interface for Mycroft which is an open source community committed technology that ties natural language processing, text-to-speech, speech-to-text, and powerful APIs together to create a powerful experience allowing users to manipulate their devices through voice control. Mycroft is the digital implementation of a modern day virtual assistant on the Linux Platform that can help a user conduct a multitude of task via voice and also behave as an accessibility provider.

Coming to the discussion:
The mycroft plasmoid currently lives within the plasma-mycroft repository hosted on KDE Infrastructure and has an active project under phabricator as Mycroft integration, This applet is currently in playground and I would like to move this from playground to stable releases and hence would be putting this project under KDE Review, since the first step as per the Application Lifecycle (https://comunity.kde.org/Policies/Application_Lifecycle) process under KDE Review seems to be deciding the project path in repo-metadata.

I understand there is "extra-gears" where i can do self releases and "plasma addons", which i am keenly interested in for release for this plasmoid so I would like to initiate a discussion on where this project should live and what are the plasma team's view on this.

Apart from the above discussion and being fairly new to this process I admittedly don't understand the release cycle process of stuff in plasma so if someone could also help with these points would be really helpful:
- What is the duration between each stable release for plasmoids/applets and how does the version system work for plasmoid releases ? I found this document: https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Release_Schedules_Guide but it seems more for applications than for plasmoids
- Also are bugfixes allowed for plasmoids in an already released stable, as mycroft-core is a product outside the scope of KDE release cycle and upstream mycroft could introduce a new feature or bug that can break some functionality how would such an event generally be dealt with in stable ?

Look forward to hearing from the plasma team on this topic of discussion and the path that can be appropriate for this project.

Regards,
Aditya