D5928: Introducing Night Color - KWin's native blue light filter at nighttime

Roman Gilg noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun May 28 13:53:31 UTC 2017

subdiff added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5928#111282, @graesslin wrote:

  > I wouldn't call it color correction as we used to have a mechanism called color correction in the past which did something very different. Personal suggestion: gamma correction or color temperature correction.

  I have looked it up now and it's something about ICC profiles for screens. Is this stuff functionally right now in KWin? Don't forget that Night Color is only the first part of the planned work here. In the end it is also about giving the user control over gamma / color values of the attached screens in general, which sounds similar to the ICC profiles stuff and maybe should be integrated anyway. Which means then it would make sense again to use the proposed name. But if not, gamma correction would be the way to go, because as I said in the end not only color temperature

  > Sorry cannot do a full review for the next few weeks.

  No problem, we have lots of time till next release. :)

  > Personally I do not mind whether the functionality is in KWin or extern. The argument of first frane after suspend is a good one. I didn't check the code in detail so ignote if it doesn't matter: in long term I want to forbid KWin to have Internet access. So the geolocation neefs to happen outside of KWin.

  Geolocation is outside (in Plasma Workspace). No internet access needed from within KWin.

  > And congrats for top item on r/linux :-P

  At least we now can be sure, that there is general interest for such a feature.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin