Kirigami 1.1 / QML problem (Subsurface-mobile)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 21 04:56:35 UTC 2017

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the response!

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:16:40AM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2017, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > After taking a pause for a while, I tried to address a couple of the bug
> > reports for Subsurface-mobile on Android and iOS.
> >
> > Right now we are building with Kirigami 1.1 and Qt 5.7.1. If we have to
> > upgrade to Kirigami 2.0 and/or Qt 5.8 in order to make it easier for
> > people to help us, please let me know... I tried with Qt 5.8.0 on the
> > desktop and the two problems are still there. But I haven't tried Kirigami
> > 2.0.
>
> as far i understood of the problems, the version of kirigami shouldn't really
> matter, as they're related with models and stock qml listviews.
>
> If I'll get around this week i'll try to build subsurface again (do those
> problems happen only since recently or always happened as far you know?)

That's a question that should be easy to answer but oddly it isn't. We've
had a few reports in the initial release of Subsurface-mobile where people
were reporting the first problem (with the details showing one dive
further down in the list than the one that you tapped on), but a couple of
the developers (including myself) weren't able to reproduce it. But now
with the current version it seems fairly easy to reproduce the problem.

> In the meantime, especially since you say some problems happen with the full
> app as well,

No, I don't think I said that. Or I should say, I wasn't planning to say
this. I haven't seen this problem in Subsurface - I can easily reproduce
both problems when building Subsurface-mobile (the QML app) on the desktop
and running it there under Linux. Maybe I didn't phrase this clearly
enough - in both cases it is the QML app that shows the problem, not the
Qt app.

> I may suspect some problem to the main model of the application?
> (before gets sorted by the qfilterproxymodel)

Given that we have more than 10k users of the desktop app (and all of the
developers constantly work on that) I am near certain that the model isn't
broken.

> Have you ever tried ModelTest? https://wiki.qt.io/Model_Test
> Not sure how easy to detach that model to make it fully work in a minimal
> application, but having that test that is normally built and ran routinely may
> save quite some future headaches.

Regardless, I will definitely do that, just in case.

Please let me know if you run into trouble building the current
Subsurface-mobile. There is a silly cmake issue when cross building for
Android. We have a shell script that should do this pretty much
fully-automated (this is reasonably well tested), but with Qt5.7.1 and
Qt5.8.0 there is a bug that requires a small fix to
android_armv7/lib/cmake/Qt5Core/Qt5CoreConfigExtras.cmake

This is explained in the comments at the beginning of
packaging/android/android-build-wrapper.sh

If you are bulding on a Linux box to run Subsurface-mobile on the desktop,
you should be able to do this quite easily by running
scripts/build.sh -mobile
That also should build everything on a recent Linux distro.

Thanks again for your willingness to look into this!

/D