KWin contextmenus usability and window/app specific palettes

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 20:41:02 UTC 2017

Martin Gräßlin wrote:

Hi,

> KWin is only involved starting in point 4. 1-3 are in the application.

I think I'm beginning to grasp what's going on, thanks.
QtCurve has a feature that allows to specify a modification of the menu
background shade, which I have to set to 100% lighter. That would explain the
symptom I'm seeing if that percentage is calculated with respect to the
application palette instead of to the widget palette, and if memory serves me
well that is what happens.

Bummer. The only proper way I see around this is to detect the useractions menu
inside the style (how?!) and compare the base ("unlightened/darkened")
background colour to the widget's actual background colour, and use the
lightened colour only when that comparison finds no difference.
As an alternative it might be possible and simpler (but overkill?) to compare
the menu's palette to the application palette and use the former if different.

R.