KWin contextmenus usability and window/app specific palettes

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Mar 19 15:38:17 UTC 2017

Am 2017-03-19 13:27, schrieb René J. V.  Bertin:
> subsidiary question: QtCurve connects to certain signals that I think
> come from
> KWin:
>
>     bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/KWin", "org.kde.KWin",
> "compositingToggled",
>                 this, SLOT(compositingToggled()));

This connect is broken. KWin no longer emits the signal on /KWin and
neither in the org.kde.KWin interface.

If you need this I suggest to replace it by:
KWindowSystem::compositingChanged signal

>     QString arg0 = qApp? qApp->arguments()[0] : QString();
>     if (!qApp || (arg0 != "kwin" && arg0 != "kwin_x11" && arg0 !=
> "kwin_wayland")) {
>         bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/QtCurve", "org.kde.QtCurve",
>                 "themeChanged", this, SLOT(borderSizesChanged()));
>         bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/QtCurve", "org.kde.QtCurve",
>                     "borderSizesChanged", this,
> SLOT(borderSizesChanged()));
>         if (opts.menubarHiding & HIDE_KWIN)
>             bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/QtCurve", "org.kde.QtCurve",
>                         "toggleMenuBar",
>                         this, SLOT(toggleMenuBar(unsigned int)));

KWin no longer takes org.kde.kwin, but org.kde.KWin. So the connects are
100 % broken.

> The tweak to omit these connects in KWin itself comes from a Debian
> patch, I
> just added the connect to themeChanged() myself after noticing in the
> Aurorae
> theme sources shipping with KWin 5.9.3 .
>
> Are those connects still relevant, and should they indeed be excluded
> for KWin
> itself?

Whether or not I cannot tell you as I have no idea what QtCurve used to
do there. KWin does not have any /QtCurve installed. That's a question
you would have to pass to QtCurve developers.

Cheers
Martin