D4989: more aggressively repaint when the shadow changes

Martin Gräßlin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 16 16:05:53 UTC 2017

graesslin added a comment.

  > https://github.com/maui-common/maui-settings-theming/blob/master/usr/share/default-settings/plasma5-profile/kwinrc

  This certainly has setting combinations which I consider as unsupported. To me any strong deviation is considered unsupported. We don't have the manpower to ensure that the weird combinations work. To me that is fine, most of these options are hidden in expert modes showing warnings. If users select them: they were warned. If distros do it, it becomes problematic.

  Especially I consider the following choices questionable:

    AnimationSpeed=1

  This disables all animations exposing repaint issues in case the animations hid them.

    UnredirectFullscreen=false

  Doesn't exist any more, why include it?

    slidingpopupsEnabled=false
    kwin4_effect_maximizeEnabled=false
    kwin4_effect_translucencyEnabled=false

  These are all effects enabled by default in Plasma. Using with them disabled, well might work, might not. Nobody of us ever tested it. They all animate, so can hide repaint issues.

  and not to mention all the values which match the default values. Alas that's something I brought up every half year when still having been with BlueSystems. And every half year we have to investigate the weird brokeness this procedure creates.

  To me the result of this is that we need to cut down on the configuration possibilities. We don't have the possibility of testing all of them. If three devs have to work on trying to figure out what causes a repaint glitch which nobody else has ever seen before than the result is that we need to cut down to a managable subset of options.

REPOSITORY
  R108 KWin