LGPL a possibility for Breeze Qt widget style?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 17:30:36 UTC 2017

Den 9 mars 2017 11:24 fm skrev "Jonathan Riddell" <jr at jriddell.org>:

> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 10:04:56PM +0100, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> > 1) I want to make an AppImage of a GPL-incompatible Qt application,
> > that bundles a newer Qt than the one provided by the target system.
>
> Go ahead
>
> The main unresolved issue with AppImage as I see it is not being able
> to provide source code in a convenient way for the bits which are GPLed.
> The same is true to Snap and FlatPak as far as I can see.
>
> > 2) I want that application to look native under Plasma, hence I'd like
> > to bundle a Breeze built against the bunded Qt.
>
> Shouldn't be a problem.  Breeze is a plugin of Qt and you can provide
> the full source code on request (even if Appimage doesn't give any
> convenient way to do so).  It's not a derived work of your application
> just as when I install Skype on my laptop which uses Qt and it uses
> breeze that doesn't make Skype a derived work of breeze.
>
> Putting it inside an AppImage is mere aggregation just as any distro
> making a package of Skype and of breeze and putting it on an ISO is
> mere aggregation.

Alright, I just wasn't sure if aggregating a GPL plugin (in the dlopen()ing
sense) with an application and distributing that aggregation constitutes
creating a derived work in the eyes of GPL. But since you give an counter
example I feel more confident now that it doesn't.

I just wish the FSF FAQ was more clear on this (direct dynamic linking vs
dlopen()ing).

> In the case of the other thread he did want to reuse parts of Breeze
> code in custom widgets which would make it a derived work.  That's not
> the case for your app.

Right.

Elvis