LGPL a possibility for Breeze Qt widget style?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Mar 9 10:24:11 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 10:04:56PM +0100, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> 1) I want to make an AppImage of a GPL-incompatible Qt application,
> that bundles a newer Qt than the one provided by the target system.

Go ahead

The main unresolved issue with AppImage as I see it is not being able
to provide source code in a convenient way for the bits which are GPLed.
The same is true to Snap and FlatPak as far as I can see.

> 2) I want that application to look native under Plasma, hence I'd like
> to bundle a Breeze built against the bunded Qt.

Shouldn't be a problem.  Breeze is a plugin of Qt and you can provide
the full source code on request (even if Appimage doesn't give any
convenient way to do so).  It's not a derived work of your application
just as when I install Skype on my laptop which uses Qt and it uses
breeze that doesn't make Skype a derived work of breeze.

Putting it inside an AppImage is mere aggregation just as any distro
making a package of Skype and of breeze and putting it on an ISO is
mere aggregation.

In the case of the other thread he did want to reuse parts of Breeze
code in custom widgets which would make it a derived work.  That's not
the case for your app.

Jonathan