[Differential] [Commented On] D4838: [Notifications] Add context menu for thumbnail

Thomas Pfeiffer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 1 13:55:41 UTC 2017

colomar added a comment.

  > Okay, personal opinion on why split buttons are among the most horrible things related to UX:
  >  (And whilst some of these points might not apply to this very specific use case here: they will elsewhere, and once one component users this button, others will too, see e.g. spectacle)
  >
  > - They are very prone to accidental clicks. If you  want to click the (little) arrow but hit the button instead, worst case you get an undoable, destructive action. This gets a lot worse with touch.

  1. You should not use a split button with the main button performing a destructive action, of course.
  2. Plasma Desktop is not optimized for touch input, Plasma Mobile certainly would not not use them. And as you say yourself below, a context menu does not work for touch, either.

  > - They are horrible for handicapped people. Screen readers usually don't handle them properly, so these people are only aware of one action, and might not be able to see the others

  How do context menus work with screen readers?

  > - They are horrible for keyboard based navigation (see above on not applying for this very specific use case): which button presses them? Which one opens then?

  Split buttons are usually used in toolbars, which are never good for keyboard navigation. That's what menu bars are for.

  > - Space. These buttons have text on them, text that is translatable and might be a lot bigger in e.g. German.  The buttons in notifications already suffer from this (e.g. bluetooth received files, in German) and it only gets worse if you add multiple options and an additional arrow

  Is that arrow really taking up that much space?

  > - They would obviously not work well with multiple items as per the example above, if you e.g. wanted item specific actions

  As I said: Neither does the simple button. The split button wouldn't be the one crrating the problem. And it would not _replace_ the context menu, either.

  > What would work are either context menus as proposed  (touch is going to be meh though, as I just learned that we can't properply do long press anywere) or a button that only has the purpose of opening a menu, e.g.: hamburger button.

  Nobody said anything against the context menus, the split button would just be an additional, more discoverable means to access the functions.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

EMAIL PREFERENCES