D6313: WIP: Support device pixel ratio in icon loader and engine

Ken Vermette noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jun 21 15:10:06 UTC 2017

kvermette added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6313#118250, @davidedmundson wrote:

  > For SVG icons this is fine.
  >
  > For pixmap icons this is only part of the needed changes.
  >
  > We don't want to load the 16px image and then resize it, I think that's what this would do? That would be an unacceptable regression.
  >
  > We would need a folder containing the 16px icons at 2x. This is now part of the FD.O icon spec [1].  But that means updating all of our icon theme parsing and a much much bigger patch.
  >  Or we could just special case SVGs here.
  >
  > [1]https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

  Behaviorally speaking there's justification for ensuring SVGs are treated the same as PNGs in this case. Looking at the code we aren't shimming the SVGs specifically (unless I'm missing something), but I just wanted to chime in with this and nip special treatment for SVGs in the bud. In maintaining the Aether icon theme I would create links to the higher resolution icons, so you'd see something like a "16x16x2" folder point to my "32x32" 'native' folder, and a "16x16x3"->"48x48" folder, "32x32x2"->"64x64", etc. Just because we *can* scale SVG icons doesn't mean that behavior should be assumed, should the icon set have higher fidelity icons ready for HiDPI.

REPOSITORY
  R302 KIconThemes