D6188: [Desktop] Pad cellWidth/cellHeight with the extra space

Chris Holland noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 12 20:53:19 UTC 2017

Zren added a comment.

  What behaviour should the folder widget use:

  1. Old behaviour: https://streamable.com/5gk5p
  2. Current behaviour with the patch: https://streamable.com/qs4s4
  3. Combination of the two, when "arranged in rows", it should stretch to fill the width, but keep a fixed height so that it's easy to spot at a glance that there's more icons. Vice versa for "arranged in columns", where it'll fill the height, but have a fixed width.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6188#116002, @hein wrote:

  > The comment is mostly about the fact that this means you can no longer drop icons there then. Keep in mind that when the view is in columnar mode, horizontal overflow is (currently) the expected and correct behavior - if the folder is fuller than the screen can fill, the view has to start scrolling horizontally then.

  A scrollbar will still appear when needed (too many icons). It's just harder to get the scrollbar accidentally by dropping in the bottom right when there isn't an overflow.
  You can still create a scrollbar accidently like this: https://streamable.com/why77
  Where you mouse is still hovering the FolderView, but the center of the dropped icon is hovering the next column.
  You can also force it by selecting a group of icons (eg: 3x3) and dropping icons off the screen. You need to drop them twice. Once to trigger the "overflow" mode, and a second time to actually place them. I think it's a bug that you need to do it twice. I think this happened before this patch though (I'll test after supper).

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop