System settings KCM redesign

kainz.a kainz.a at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:28:32 UTC 2017

This topic is very old and tbh my motivation was very low to start it
again, but as the feedback from the akadamy was that the plasma team want
to start with this topic again, I'm motivated again.

There are some options how to manage this task
1. wait for kuserfeedback results to found out which kcm's are importend
for the users
At my university I make the student documents new. 400 latex pages. before
everything was in word. after the first year we get a lot of feedback from
the students (orthography, smaler stuff, ...) and in one chapter the
students told as that the calculation was wrong. the calculation was also
wrong in the old document, but in the old one, nobody understood it and so
nobody read/use it.

2. update one KCM after the other
This was the idea in the last > 3 years, where not that much happens.
Sometimes it is good to focus on one topic, like plasma hade a bug hunting
release. In addition there is a HIG for KCM's and the VDG is always willing
to support but only one KCM was renewed in the last 3 years. The Desktop
Theme KCM. It was writen in 2 days, than some time of bughunting and it was
in the next release.

3. update all KCM
This task is HUGE we are talking about 70 (by default installed KCM's) and
additionally some other KCM's. Update all KCM's would be a big (maybe to
big) step. So I separte the KCM's in the 4 major sections
- 1. Appearance
- 2. Workspace
- 3. Personalization
- 4. Hardware

For 1. Appearance I have a final draft in the VDG share
https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/w0gpfnHtoY6zNCi
Feel free to comment. I use the nextcloud share cause there I can add the
svg files, an general writer file with the description and the images. The
discussion is in the KCM telegram group. If you prefer another
communication tool (phab, forum, ...) no problem.

2. Workspace is in general 80% window manager. as it was already written
this task is not that easy, but I prefer to make one section after the
other cause than it's general easier. e.g. the Virtual Desktop KCM has a
tab with Switch effect and shortcuts. From the user point of view it is
"nice" to have the shortcuts in the VD KCM, but there is already a shortcut
KCM so if this KCM would work better (KWin has the option to define 160
shortcuts in the GUI), separate the Virtual Desktop specific shortcuts
wouldn't make sence. Same for Desktop Effects.

I make a icon theme for LibreOffice with 3.500 Icons in 3 mounths with the
help of Uri. Nobody else did this task in the past. I like big tasks and I
can wait when the implementation need longer. It is way easier to develop
after an well designed and finished (discussed) KCM mockup than without.

Please join the journey to a better System Setting.
Andraes_K

document share:
https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/vadAnAoVp14zwaE