D8444: Define default Action when we plug unknown monitor

Sebastian Kügler noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Dec 8 10:09:44 UTC 2017

sebas added a subscriber: jensreuterberg.
sebas added a comment.

  @dvratil Good question. I actually have a branch that adds an OSD to kscreen. It's in sebas/osd right now and I haven't merged it since it behaves weirdly on Wayland (placement is not reliable). That should be the start. The plasmashell OSD is doesn't allow placing it on a specific screen (or both) which is something we'll want for this, since we're messing with screens right during that stage, and it's also not interactive. So we'd have to add quite some cases to plasmashell that are really only useful for kscreen. I'd start with that OSD and add interactivity and the selector for layouts.

  @mlaurent The idea is to popup a selector for the different layouts when a new screen is connected and then switch to the chosen layout. It will be remembered so on next connect, this layout will be picked automatically. The OSD should resemble the other Plasma OSDs, for a detailed design, please refer to @jensreuterberg or or other VDG members. There are already icons added to Breeze for that, and enums are in libkscreen as well (IIRC). This adds a runtime dependency on kscreen (not libkscreen), which is entirely fine. Hit me up on IRC or email for additional details.

REPOSITORY
  R104 KScreen