D5471: Prefer `plasmashell --version` to get Plasma version

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Apr 16 10:44:15 UTC 2017

sitter added a comment.

  plasma.desktop is provided by us https://cgit.kde.org/plasma-workspace.git/tree/plasma.desktop.cmake and set programmatically to the very same version you'd get with --version. There's not much to be done if distros mess this up.

  I should think the solution to your problem is asking opensuse nicely to stop changing plasma's version numbers or at least do it in a manner that doesn't involve humans, instead of adding excessive amounts of additional code which blocks the module initialization on waiting for another binary to work around a problem that may well be intentional as far as opensuse is concerned.

  Speed, code readability and reliability is precisely why we opted to get the data from our session desktop file rather than going through a binary which is ultimately going to tell us the same thing as far as our upstream code is concerned.

REPOSITORY
  R102 KInfoCenter