D5405: Create desktop file name based on organization domain unless set explicitely

Luigi Toscano noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 12 16:46:03 UTC 2017

ltoscano added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5405#101575, @mak wrote:

  > In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5405#101574, @ltoscano wrote:
  >
  > > I'm still confused. Documentation or not, bad usage or not, is it correct that desktop file name is constructed from both the organization domain AND the homepage?
  >

  > Yes. See https://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s02.html

  No. As Andrius pointed out, the only relevant sentence is

  > For applications, the part of the name of the desktop file (before the .desktop) should follow the "reverse DNS" convention, e.g. org.example.FooViewer.desktop. The name should be a valid D-Bus well-known bus name. The valid characters (aside '.') are [A-Z][a-z][0-9] along with dash ('-') and underscore ('_'). Components may not begin with a digit.

  which talks about the format (reverse DNS *convention*), but it does not say the source. Here we are talking about create this naming in KAboutData. What I would expect is:

  - if the desktop file name is specified, it is used; otherwise
  - if the organization domain is specified, regardless of the value of the homepage, the organization domain is used; otherwise
  - if the homepage is specified, the homepage is used; otherwise
  - uhm, not sure here. Just nothing, and the world will explode as expected, or a default value (if we enforced it so far) .

  organization domain only should be enough. If not specified, sure, the homepage can be used

REPOSITORY
  R244 KCoreAddons