Default touch screen edge gestures

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Apr 10 19:12:22 UTC 2017

Am 2017-04-10 17:28, schrieb Marco Martin:
> On Saturday 08 April 2017, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> Hi Plasmates,
>>
>> now that we have touch screen edge swipe gesture support both on X11
>> and
>> Wayland we could define which actions to put on each edge.
>>
>> My suggestion would be to put a sensible action on each of the four
>> actions.
>>
>> Personal proposal:
>
> i would expect it trying to mirror what is the default arrangement of
> panels
> (doesn't have to follow the configuration or anythig fancy, just do it
> for the
> default)
>
> like, being the panel by default at the bottom and the taskbar taking
> most of
> it, i would expect some form of window switching there, either alt+tab
> or
> present windows.
>
> mirroring could be
> top -> krunner

krunner is - sorry to say - useless with touch screens.

> left->activities

We have support for Activity Manager so that could be possible. Though
given Ivan's comment about good defaults on first tries I'm not sure
whether Activities are the features to put on one of four possible
actions.

> bottom->present windows
> right->hmm, some desktop switcher?

If we think long term with the ideas of merging Desktops and Activities
might be an idea to not provide both Activities and Desktops.

Cheers
Martin