Complex text input in Plasma

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Apr 9 09:33:00 UTC 2017

Am 2017-04-09 10:19, schrieb Eike Hein:
> Martin, how would you see this done? Some sort of abstract interface in
> kwin and a plugin-based implementation that makes the actual calls into
> the fcitx lib?

That would be an option if we want to support multiple IM
implementations.

But if we want to keep it small and simple I would go to directly link
the fcitx library and do the deep calls into fcitx directly from KWin
core.

This has the charm that we can move relatively fast and enforce that
distros have to ship with it. It would become a mandatory dependency and
there would not be any weird "is the plugin installed" logic required.

Also changing to plugin API could be done in a later step. We just need
to keep the KWin internal interface clean ;-) But as we have most of the
required code anyway for the virtual keyboard I'm not worried about
that.

Cheers
Martin