Complex text input in Plasma

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Apr 9 08:19:54 UTC 2017

Personally I do see the appeal of making kwin the daemon - simplicity
and definitely delivers on the "make IM not be an afterthought" goal.
If it's in the kwin core it can't be not installed.

It'd also make the System Settings side easier if we can code against
a native interface we control - right now an ibus/fcitx KCM bundled
with Plasma Desktop could break if those break API. If what we're
configuring is kwin, it reduces the API surface area toward our deps.

OTOH I think we need something like fcitx (or ibus) between us and the
IME instead of having a native IME plugin API in kwin: There's only a
limited number of people developing IMEs across all free systems, and
it's important to maximize their utility by allowing them to get their
IMEs working in as many systems as possible.

Martin, how would you see this done? Some sort of abstract interface in
kwin and a plugin-based implementation that makes the actual calls into
the fcitx lib?

> Cheers
> Martin

Cheers,