A Plasma Vision draft

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Sep 26 13:12:08 UTC 2016

On 26.09.2016 13:27, Olivier Churlaud wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry if I come late, I wasn't aware of this thread...
>
> Le lundi 26 septembre 2016, 12:56:25 CEST Jens Reuterberg a écrit :
>> "Plasma is for people using a computing device in a professional context,
>> where productivity, performance and privacy are essential"
> I find that the "is for people .." kind of restrictive. I agree that you need
> to have a precise target audience, but don't freak out other people.
> If this is your vision, it should be the first big sentence that people will
> read. Normal users might say, 'uh, I want games as well, and listening to
> music and editing videos: it's not for me'.

We could replace "is for" with "focuses on" if necessary.
On the other hand, the stricter a vision is, the more useful it becomes to focus
effort. With the above vision, if someone complains about bad gaming performance
in Plasma, we can just ask "Do you play games in a professional context? If not,
then sorry, your usecase is not what Plasma is made for."
Editing videos, though, for me is a classic example of a professional context.
Not everybody edits videos professionally, but if Plasma works well for those
who do it professionally, it should also work well for those who do it privately.

It's really a question of "Do we dare scaring some people off in order to focus
more on our target audience?"
> I wonder if the professional context is important. To me plasma is
> productivity, performance and privacy. To achieve this, you target
> professionals (more mission-like).

Again, depends on how much we want to focus.

> Some ideas, that still sound wrong to me, but less (I don't like the "for
> people"):
> "Plasma turns computing devices into productive, performant and private tools"
We had "performant" in our original draft, but then it was pointed out that it
is not a proper English word.
> "Plasma is for people for which productivity, performance and privacy are
> essential"
If we don't want to define our target audience in the Vision, then this would be
a good alternative. Then again, aren't those important for pretty much anybody?
> "Plasma aims at enhancing the productivity, performance and privacy of the
> user experience"

I don't think an experience can have productivity... ;)
> "Plasma: experience prod, perf and priv" ?

That sounds more like a tagline than a vision, but we already have the tagline
"Plasma: Getting things done."
> Well just some (bad) ideas...

They're not bad ideas at all, it's really a matter of how much Plasma wants to
focus.
Thank you for the input!