Plasma desktop/mobile initial setup

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Sep 14 12:03:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 01:54:28PM +0200, Jan Grulich wrote:
> some time ago I had an idea to propose something like Plasma initial setup as
> a bachelor thesis to our RedHat system, where students then can pick up our
> ideas and realize them as their theses. Recently I got a student who would
> like to work on this and I would like to know whether it's a good idea and
> something like this would be desired. The initial setup would allow to
> configure basic stuff like language, keyboard layout, online accounts and so
> on. What I realized now that we could actually do this for both desktop and
> mobile using Kirigami. What do you think?

Having a default setup which just works is important to Plasma, simple
by default powerful when needed is one of our slogans.  So first run
wizards get in the way of that.  Besides language and keyboard etc are
usually set up by the distro installer.

Better might be a selection of default profiles showing some kiosk
lockdown options and some accessibility settings (Kubuntu has an
option in its boot loader to select accessibility profiles which
hasn't worked since kde 3 times).

Integration with online accounts could be nice if there's the pieces to do so.

Jonathan