Proposed SoK Project | Frozen Window Options Menu when out of focus (Plasma 5.7, KWIN)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Nov 2 20:53:11 UTC 2016

Am 2016-11-02 20:44, schrieb Jordan Rushing:
> Hello -
>
> My name is Jordan and I have recently signed up to participate in the
> Season of KDE program as a student for 2016. I am a senior
> undergraduate Computer Science student based in the US and this is my
> first time contributing to OSS.

Hi Jordan,

welcome to OSS and Plasma.

> Valorie Zimmerman in the #kde-soc IRC channel advised me to reach out
> via this mailing list to propose a potential issue and receive
> feedback on its scope and practicality.
>
> In KDE Plasma 5.7 (I have observed this issue on Manjaro 16.08
> Ellada), I have noticed an issue where, when the menu bar on a focused
> window is right clicked and the options menu including the option to
> "move this window to desktop. . . " appears, if the focus window is
> closed or moved without an option being selected, the options menu
> remains persistently displayed and cannot be interacted with. This
> issue appears to be potentially KWIN related.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1. Upon initial reading, is anyone familiar with this issue?

yes sure, that's bug 360719

> 2. If the issue is not currently being addressed, does its scale lend
> itself to being an appropriate project for the Season of KDE program?

No, that is not enough for a SoK project. Once the issue is identified,
it would be fixable in hours max a few days.

> 3. If this issue is inappropriate for the program, is there any
> constructive feedback that I can take away from my identification of
> the issue or proposal?

If you want to hack on that issue I can provide you pointers where to
look into the code.

It seems to be only a problem with Compositing enabled, so one idea to
start would be in the kwin/useractions.cpp to verify that all windows
get closed. Then as a next step to verify that the Unmanaged for the
menus get recognized as closed. If both would be the case the next
interesting aspect would be to figure out why it's not removed from
rendering. Thus getting closer to the problem.

The description of the problem here gave me an idea which allowed me to
reproduce the issue, so kudos to that!

> I am a big fan of KDE software I use Plasma as my primary desktop
> environment. I am excited to begin contributing to Open Source
> Software and I believe KDE is a great place to start.

Welcome on board!

Cheers
Martin