Proposed SoK Project | Frozen Window Options Menu when out of focus (Plasma 5.7, KWIN)

Jordan Rushing rushing.jordan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 19:44:42 UTC 2016

Hello -

My name is Jordan and I have recently signed up to participate in the
Season of KDE program as a student for 2016. I am a senior undergraduate
Computer Science student based in the US and this is my first time
contributing to OSS.

Valorie Zimmerman in the #kde-soc IRC channel advised me to reach out via
this mailing list to propose a potential issue and receive feedback on its
scope and practicality.

In KDE Plasma 5.7 (I have observed this issue on Manjaro 16.08 Ellada), I
have noticed an issue where, when the menu bar on a focused window is right
clicked and the options menu including the option to "move this window to
desktop. . . " appears, if the focus window is closed or moved without an
option being selected, the options menu remains persistently displayed and
cannot be interacted with. This issue appears to be potentially KWIN
related.

My questions are as follows:

1. Upon initial reading, is anyone familiar with this issue?
2. If the issue is not currently being addressed, does its scale lend
itself to being an appropriate project for the Season of KDE program?
3. If this issue is inappropriate for the program, is there any
constructive feedback that I can take away from my identification of the
issue or proposal?

I am a big fan of KDE software I use Plasma as my primary desktop
environment. I am excited to begin contributing to Open Source Software and
I believe KDE is a great place to start.

Thank you for your time and efforts,

Jordan