DWD HIG Draft

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:21:20 UTC 2016

Update;

After feedback we made some moderately heavy changes to teh DWD
requirements, namely removing/changing 'priority groups' in favour of
'layouts'.

Instead of the application firing off widgets with a "spray & pray" manner
via priority groups, we're using layouts. With layouts the application sets
a primary layout, and can switch to contextual layouts later. The primary
layout has to be accepted as-is otherwise DWDs will be disabled for that
window.

Layouts can specify the order and size policies of widgets, but only for
the area inside the canvas - an application can't try to scramble
user-defined buttons. Applications can swap layouts if there's a contextual
need, but the DWD can reject them if there's an issue, telling the app to
provide traditional controls.

We will specify how things should be laid out by applications in HIGs later
(basically, it's what the required layout was before), but this will let
applications use discretion if something would be awkward. More information
on this can be found under 'Widget Placement" in the doc.

Document link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mYzHjcuDitWmk99syjC0xzQPPmyUrpL_29_s3-2Yl_g/edit?usp=sharing

This upcoming weekend is a long weekend here, so I'll have time to put this
on the wiki and make a blog post. If anyone wants me to hold off for more
feedback please let me know.

Cheers;
 - Ken