two exceptions for string freeze in Plasma

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Thu Mar 10 11:43:38 UTC 2016

Am Donnerstag, 10. März 2016, 09:14:56 schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> On Thursday, March 10, 2016 02:37:11 Alexander Potashev wrote:
> > > Indeed. My change was not trying to get a generalized policy
> > > implemented, but to fix the wrong use of the KDE brand. We do
> > > have people telling us that they'll happily use KDE to refer to
> > > the desktop because we don't even use it consistently
> > > ourselves. My change addresses this consistency issue.
> >
> > Sebastian,
> >
> > I don't think "KDE Info Center" is wrong use of KDE brand. This
> > name is as common as "Microsoft Internet Explorer": in both cases
> > the first part is name of the developer/vendor.
>
> It's highly confusing, as it can too easily be mistaken that this
> thing provides info about KDE, which is the whole problem.
>
> By your logic, we'd have to prepend all of our application names
> with KDE.

These are words. The meaning of words strongly depend on the cutural
background, the peer group you are a part of and even just personal
preferences.

I honestly do not understand why people are always fighting over
words. No user cares about whether KDE is the software or the
community. No user cares about whether it's KDE Desktop or Plasma. No
user cares about the name of the Info Center (what is this anyway?).
They only care once until they found it. After that they follow clicks
or whatever name they found it under.

If that was not the case, people would never be able to use computers
at all with abstract-named application.
I need a Desktop -> ah, Plasma might be it.
I need a package manager -> ah, Muon sounds promising.
I want to write a letter -> hmm, I bet it's Calligra
Or let's browse the internet on a burning animal! (yeah yeah, it's not
really a burning animal, I know)

Names are names. A tiny bit of the freedom the developers enjoy to
give their application a personal touch or subjectively a better name
than the others did. They are good and bad at the same time according
to whom you ask. Is "Mail" or "Thunderbird" a better application name
for an email application? Let the fighting begin.

Or just stop fighting over names. There is no KDE 5, There is no
technology with the name KDE. "A" is a KDE application and "B" is just
an application using KDE. Who cares.

For me, changing "KDE Info Center" to "Info Center" is up to the
developers who do the work. But it's not an important enough change to
break string freeze. No user will be confused about the KDE because no
user understands, what KDE is anyway. And how many developers do?

Anyway, please stop fighting. All the reasoning you think make your
point clear for everyone, probably doesn't. It's just your own
personal interpretation and others will have as good reasons as yours
to claim the opposite.

Cheers,
Frederik