two exceptions for string freeze in Plasma

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Wed Mar 9 17:01:12 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 09 of March 2016 09:26:05 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 08, 2016 22:04:26 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > Sebastian Kügler ha scritto:

> > > No, we're happy with the names.
> >
> > Others won't be. And you also fixed other unrelated messages in
> > khelpcenter
> > (the name of some documents  without checking what they are about or
> > without asking about how to rename them - can we do it  before changing
> > those strings)?
>
> Who is "others"?
>
> In general, when criticizing, can you give concrete examples and provide
> alternative solutions? I can't really address your concerns otherwise.
>
> You're hinting that I broke something. Could you point out what? In my
> testing, and when I checked, everything still worked and even made more
> sense, with less wrong usage of the "KDE" brand. That's why the patches
> passed review and have been pushed to master.

I'm one of the people who is "lobbying" and fixing the wrong usage of "KDE"
around. So let me put this straight: I totally and completely support the
removal of KDE-as-the-desktop.

My concern are about generic names. There were complaints even for our usage
of a generic name like System Settings, and that's why, for what I remember,
Ben created that additional kdesystemsettings.desktop to be shown outside
Plasma. I remember heated discussions in the past, and I can dig it a bit more
(I don't have my mail archive right now).

I feel like using generic names for these kind of components is stepping in
the toes of other desktop environment. I feel that every time I see a generic
name from, to name one, few components of the Gnome desktop. So they ends up
hiding them in their environment, which does not help convincing the users
that all applications are equal (and not bloated or not fitted or not working
under a different desktop).

If, on the other side, you think that this is not important for components
part of Plasma, and if they are not used (because ends up hidden by their
generic name) in other environment, that's fine.

You could think I'm overthinking. I think other users will share these
concerns.
The decision is yours, I was not going (and I won't) to continue the debate
after this. Two replies, close it.

> > The Gnome equivalent for khelpcenter is called yelp, not Help Center.
> > Again: please reevaluate. Generic names are simply bad.
>
> I think generic names are great because it's something the user can
> understand without context. You're not actually supporting your own
> statements, I can't reasonably work with that kind of criticism.
>
> I'd like to address your feedback and come to a solution everyone is happy
> with, but for that, please provide suggestions what to use instead, and
> don't just point out "that's bad", because the previous naming was wrong,
> and the current isn't (AFAICS), so it's not an option to just revert, I'd
> rather fix it.

And I agree, again, that the current naming is incorrect. So please go forward
and rename it with the generic name and let's close this discussion.

--
Luigi