Long term support release for Plasma?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jun 27 12:28:42 UTC 2016

Hi distributions,

in Plasma we are considering to add a long term support release. For this idea
we want to get some feedback from your side to know how we should set this up.

Here is an example (I mean it!) for how this could look like:
* 5.8 first LTS release based on Qt 5.6 (which is also an LTS) for X11
* every fourth release will be another LTS release, so with the 3 month cycle
there is one LTS per year - 5.8, 5.12, 5.16
* Support is for five release cycles, so with 5.13 the 5.8 LTS goes EOL, with
5.17 the 5.12 release goes EOL
* bug fix release continue in the Fibonacci schedule till the EOL release

We would like to know from you:
* is that something which is useful to you?
* how often should we do an LTS release?
* how often should we do bug fix releases for an LTS?
* how long should a LTS be supported?

Related to that:
* what to do with frameworks?
* Would you freeze the frameworks version or continue to backport newer
framework versions to your distribution?
* Would you want an LTS branch for frameworks as well?
* What would you expect that to look like?

Looking forward to your input on this rather important topic.

Cheers
Martin