appstream in Plasma

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Mon Jun 13 13:08:36 UTC 2016

> I've submitted a review for a plasma-desktop metadata file.
> https://phabricator.kde.org/D1844
> But I was surprised to see the metadata format doesn't support many
> types.  Shouldn't something like Plasma widgets be a good target for
> appstream metadata?

Types are generally for not application-specific elements which are
useful in every desktop. So we will likely see a type "wallpaper" and
"icontheme" in future.
For everything that is app-specific, there is an extension mechanism
in place. See https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-Metadata-Addon.html
for details.

That way, we keep the amount of big component types small and
manageable, while still allowing apps to find their extensions.
Problems happen if an application supports multiple different types of
addons, or wants to filter them somehow. For that, it might be useful
to add some kind of addon_domain tag to the spec later, to allow this
kind of fine-grained filtering.

Cheers,
    Matthias