[Differential] [Updated] D1844: Add Appinfo metadata file

mak (Matthias Klumpp) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 13 13:00:14 UTC 2016

mak added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D1844#34142, @sebas wrote:

  > Should also have a screenshot?

  Normally I would say "yes", but since this is a so-called generic component, which means that it will be possible to search for it with cli tools and install it easily e.g. via "appstreamcli install <id>`, but it will generally not be visible in tools like Discover.
  This is because installing a complete DE is usually seen to be a bad idea.

  So, adding screenshots won't hurt, but they won't be as visible as type=desktop component ones.
  Btw, having a generic name of Plasma means one can write metainfo files for Plasmoids (which would sett "<extends>org.kde.plasmashell</>" in their metainfo file), meaning Plasma would be able to search for Plasmoids in a distro-agnostic way, so this is a great addition.

INLINE COMMENTS

> CMakeLists.txt:158
>  endif()
> +install( FILES "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/plasma-desktop.metainfo.xml" DESTINATION ${SHARE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/appdata/
>  feature_summary(WHAT ALL INCLUDE_QUIET_PACKAGES FATAL_ON_MISSING_REQUIRED_PACKAGES)

This should be `${SHARE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/metainfo/`, the "appdata" path is the legacy location.
Or simply use the e-c-m variable (which still needs to be updated to point to /metainfo at a later time).

> plasma-desktop.metainfo.xml:3
> +<component>
> +  <id>kde-plasma-desktop</id>
> +  <project_license>GPL-2.0+</project_license>

This should ideally be a reverse-domain-name, to fit the general style of AppStream unique IDs.
So something like "org.kde.plasmashell" or "org.kde.plasma-desktop".
See https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#tag-id-generic

> bshah wrote in plasma-desktop.metainfo.xml:11
> This is wrong, no? there is no plasma-desktop binary anymore? or you mean package name?

Jup, the binary name would be plasmashell. But you could omit this data block entirely, unless you want people to be able to search for the AppStream component when they know the binary name.

REPOSITORY
  rPLASMADESKTOP Plasma Desktop

EMAIL PREFERENCES