[Differential] [Commented On] D1779: Add a parent_window event to Plasma Window interface

graesslin (Martin Gräßlin) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jun 10 12:53:33 UTC 2016

graesslin added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D1779#33666, @hein wrote:

  >   Now if the latter is the semantics we want to bake into the protocol, we should make that clear in the docs and consider misuse a bug (i.e. document that it's wrong to have a window with a parent if the window isn't temporary). Otherwise we shouldn't use "transient".

  Transient in the context of windowing system has the meaning parent-child relationship. That's the only usage of the word I know. E.g. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_%28computer_programming%29#X

  On Wayland the situation is exactly the same and what this API provides is a parent-child relationship - which is a transient. Following the description of Wikipedia the child window will not outlife the parent window, thus it's a "transient" or a "temporary" window.

REPOSITORY
  rKWAYLAND KWayland

EMAIL PREFERENCES