about those config UIs

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:58:57 UTC 2016

On Sunday June 05 2016 20:47:31 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

Hi

> > I guess that it'd be up to individual styles to provide a menu preview or not?
> > I've gotten a preview of a menubar with a couple of menu items added to the
> > stylepreview UI resource, but I haven't yet found a way to add a QActionGroup to
> > get a menu with mutually exclusive items. Do you know if that's possible?

To answer my own question: yes that's possible, but it has to be done by hand, and I haven't double-checked if Qt Designer preserves the additional widgets given that it no longer supports them. Easier and safer to collect the elements concerned into a QActionGroup in the C++ source.

> I agree, showing a preview for a menu would make sense for other styles as well,
> since that is an important aspect of a style.
>
> Unfortunately, since I am not a developer, I can't say anything about the
> technical aspects. That question would indeed better be directed at the devs.

Bouncing this back to the ML then. I now have a working menu in QtCurve's preview (https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128097/file/3073/) which could be used as a basis for changes to the styles KCM if someone is interested.
I'm not sure if that preview is generated the same way though, the widgets appear to be simulated, responding only to mouse-over events. Breeze nor Oxygen provide something similar in their own config UI. Kind of surprising even if they provide much less configurability than QtCurve; it'd be nice to see the effect of tweaks before you apply them to the whole desktop.

R.