New idea for Plasma's logo

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Jun 2 13:02:35 UTC 2016

Hi Alex,

The things I like about the proposal:

- It retains the connection to the old logo (a huge plus in my book)
- I like the idea of the Sun with Plasma
- It would still be easy to recognize it even from the distance

The problems I see with it (if it is meant to be used as the menu icon
and all the similar places, and not only as a project logo):

- it looks like the configuration button because it looks like the
gear, even if it is really a Sun :)

- I don't find it that visually appealing. The KDE logo was always on
the ugly side, and I never saw a really good idea on how to improve
it. You can compare it to the old and new Gnome logo - from ugly to
really nice with a really small change [1][2]. Now, I do like this one
more than some previous attempts including the
'dots-instead-of-gears-logo' [3], but it still is not something I'd go
drooling after.

- A small problem is that another project has a Sun-inspired logo -
enlightenment [4]. But this is a tiny problem since the visual
connection is really small.

Cheers,
Ivan

p.s. I was not thinking that this is a VDG proposal, it was clear it
is Alex's personal idea.

[1] Old Gnome logo:
https://projects-old.gnome.org/accessibility/talks/GUAD3C/making-apps-accessible/gnome-logo-large.gif
[2] New Gnome logo: