Is it possible for a plasmoid to overlap the panel?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 21 05:31:20 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:53:03 PM CEST Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 July 2016 21:15:33 Michail Vοurlakos wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to implement a plasmoid task manager that behaves
> > like the Mac or the Plank one..
> > the code can be found here: https://github.com/psifidotos/plasmaqmldock[1]
> > it is in a very early stage but the animation is there and showing
> > and hiding windows also...
>
> I tought about an use case like that in the past...
>
> you would need to have a very big panel, mostly completely transparent (so
> it means you couldn't use always visible mode, and you depend from having
> composite)
> but for 3rd party things may be ok-ish.
>
> what the panel on our side would need to do, is not to draw its background
> in that case, basically just respect the background hints, just like
> applets do. I am thinking to add that never the less in 5.8, wouldn't
> change for the default one, but could be a little fun quirky possibility
> for kdelook stuff

Not drawing the background won't be enough: we also need to look at the window
manager story, which gets interesting for panels:
* background need to be input shaped
* strut must not be set on the whole window

Whether KWin would support that - I do not know. I could assume it would still
adjust the windows to the size of the panel.

Cheers
Martin