Is it possible for a plasmoid to overlap the panel?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 20:34:01 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 20 July 2016 15:39:36 Ken Vermette wrote:
> One thing that I (kind of) pitched during a sprint, I'll mention it here
> for discussion;
>
> What if we created a new class of widget called a "dock widget".

yes we have them... they are called "panels", really :p

you can write a widget that is completely standalone and is loaded as a panel
(not *in* a panel, *as* a panel), which doesn't have to worry about having a
layout of widgets or anything.
just, nobody bothered to do it

> Behaviourally, these widgets would be clamped to a screen edge, owning that
> edge in the same ways as a panel. Dock widgets could anchor and place items
> to that edge in a fairly free-form manner. They would define an arbitrary
> "size" (denoting width for vertically clamped widgets, height for
> horizontal) for the reserved screen space, which they could draw outside of.

we can't draw outside windows, it's not a plasma limitation, it's how things
works (and oddly in this case no, wayland won't fix that)

> The main use-case of dock widgets is allowing functional and aesthetic
> designs which are impractical with panels as we have now. Dock widgets
> could use scale, flyouts, animations, and transformations which modular
> panels cannot perform, as our panels require specific sizing information
> from contained widgets.

we can perform anything.. as long as it draws into its limits :p
again, it looks like a panel that is its own widget instead of being a layout
for other ones

--
Marco Martin