versioned dependencies on breeze

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 13 21:53:22 UTC 2016

Martin Graesslin wrote:

> Well if KWin depends on Breeze you cannot parallel build KWin and Breeze.
> That should be obvious.

It could be theoretically possible to build Kwin and Breeze 5.7.1 in
parallel against 5.7.0 packages if the dependencies were not versioned
(actually parallel build was just an example - our main issue is that this
makes it harder to build packages in a clean chroot)

> It does not make sense to have KWin depend on a Breeze of the previous
> version. Neither plasma-integration. Thus I even think that from a
> technical point of view that would be wrong.

Not sure if it makes sense or not, just pointing out that this makes things
harder for packagers.

It just seems strange to me that the dependency on Breeze (which is used to
set the default style and doesn't actually use any API) is versioned, while
for instance the dependency on libKWorkspace in plasma-desktop or
powerdevil, which should be much more sensitive to API changes, is not
versioned.

Perhaps a compromise could be to depend on the latest major version of the
modules (since it seems unlikely that a bug fix release would break things)