versioned dependencies on breeze

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jul 13 06:09:29 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:39:25 PM CEST Antonio Rojas wrote:
> In Plasma 5.7 both kwin and plasma-integration added strict versioned
> dependencies on Breeze:
>
> find_package(Breeze ${PROJECT_VERSION} CONFIG)
>
> Can this please be changed to depend on the actual minimum version required?
> There is no other versioned dependency between Plasma modules and it is
> quite inconvenient for packaging (as eg. it prevents parallel building)

Well if KWin depends on Breeze you cannot parallel build KWin and Breeze. That
should be obvious.

The reason for the added dependency is that distributions complained about
Plasma not properly specifying the dependencies it has. Thus I introduced them
in a way that it doesn't require manual effort to keep them up to date. If I
have to switch to minimum version it's starting to get manual effort with the
risk of weird errors we have not expected yet.

It does not make sense to have KWin depend on a Breeze of the previous
version. Neither plasma-integration. Thus I even think that from a technical
point of view that would be wrong.

Cheers
Martin