Which applications does the Plasma team recommend to use with Plasma?

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Jul 12 09:56:30 UTC 2016

On 12.07.2016 02:14, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
> <mailto:thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>> wrote:
>
>     So this is the input I've taken from this thread so far:
>
>     File manager: Dolphin
>     Music player: VLC (I've taken form the thread that people feel Cantata's
>     benefits over VLC do not outweigh its downsides)
>

> I feel that VLC fits into Plasma just as Clementine does.
> Given that, Clementine is an actual music player, with
> collections manager and music specific plugins and nice
> systray icon and works with our mpris2 controller and
> fetches lyrics and artist info and offers internet streaming
> by default and Spotify integration and is a music player,
> above all.

What I'd like to have is a Breeze-themed VLC skin. That would go a long way towards
better visual integration into Plasma. I agree that the default skin does look
quite alien
with its hard-coded icons.

I'm not sure if we should recommend Clementine as long as it hasn't released its Qt5
version. And even that version (I've installed it from Git yesterday) does look
pretty
weird in Plasma. It still looks too much like Amarok 1.4 to fit in well with Plasma.
But yes, the same can be said for VLC.

That's why I'd personally go for Cantata because that does not look very alien, even
though it uses its own icons as well (because those look more like Breeze icons).

> VLC is primarily a video player, using it for playing music
> works, but it's not its primary use case, making it lesser
> app when compared to Clementine (or Cantata, even).

I agree.

In the end, I think we need a KDE music player again at some point.
Olivier Churlaud is workin on one, and the VDG will do all we can do support and
motivate him to continue with it. Until then, though, we need something which
works "good enough" for us.