Which applications does the Plasma team recommend to use with Plasma?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 00:14:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>
wrote:

> So this is the input I've taken from this thread so far:
>
> File manager: Dolphin
> Music player: VLC (I've taken form the thread that people feel Cantata's
> benefits over VLC do not outweigh its downsides)

I feel that VLC fits into Plasma just as Clementine does.
Given that, Clementine is an actual music player, with
collections manager and music specific plugins and nice
systray icon and works with our mpris2 controller and
fetches lyrics and artist info and offers internet streaming
by default and Spotify integration and is a music player,
above all.

VLC is primarily a video player, using it for playing music
works, but it's not its primary use case, making it lesser
app when compared to Clementine (or Cantata, even).

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek