Customizing KDE

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jul 7 11:07:54 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:19:40 PM CEST Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to setup some defaults for all users (at package level),
> including some customizations:
>
> 1. Setup default theme
> 2. Setup default wallpaper
> 3. Set custom menu icon (application launcher?)
> 4. Set default menu style to "Application Menu"
> 5. Remove section "Places" from "Computer" tab, or even remove
> "Computer" tab completely in Application Launcher
> 6. Remove "New Session" feature (from all the places: menu, screen
> locker, etc)
> 7. Place some applications as "Favorites" by default
> 8. Remove "device notifier" and some other applets
>

> Any idea how to do (any of) that? Preferably without patching existing
> programs (but if no other option - this will also do).

I'm not an expert in that area, so I cannot really help. But as nobody else
replied so far, I better answer with my half knowledge ;-)

mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/distributions. If you are not yet subscribed you
should ;-) It's also meant as a way to exchange knowledge and their are
distributions doing that. Almost every distribution exchanges e.g. the
wallpaper, so the knowledge is there.

Concerning points 3-5, 7: Eike, is that possible at all? If yes could you
please tell Marek?

Concerning point 6: I suggest to use KIOSK for that. See https://
userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Kiosk/Introduction

Point 8 might also be doable with KIOSK, but not 100 % sure. I assume your
idea is not to hide the device notifier but make it impossible to mount devices
as a user, right?

> I've tried using scripts:
> https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/PlasmaTwoDesktopScripting
> but failed. For example I see no way to remove
> entries/applets/plasmoids. Also debugging is quite painful, because I
> have no idea where to looks for logs (like what entry was loaded, what
> was ignored at all etc), I can only guess looking at the result. And
> frequently wondering why my script wasn't launched at all...

Concerning testing of the script: did you try to run the snippets from the
Plasma-Scripting console? That way you at least get instant feedback.

Cheers,
Martin