high dpi issues wiki page

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jan 11 14:26:37 UTC 2016

On Monday, January 11, 2016 06:17:16 AM Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 03:07:16PM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> > On Monday 11 January 2016, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > How to go about it? I'd be cool with just deleting it. If anybody wants
> > > keep it, please propose how it should reflect that the info is not
> > > recent,
> > > or offer to update it.
> >
> > delete it and if somebody wants to start catalogating issues invite him to
> > re- create it?
>
> Or if there are things on the site that are obviously still correct and
> missing, leave those with an explanation that this page isn't well
> maintained but that as of early Jan 2016 these were still lacking.
>
> It's always easier to edit something that exists than to create something
> new, so deleting resources like this has a cost.

Chances are that nobody cares (nobody cared to edit it in ~1.5 years), I'd say
the cost of going over the list and updating it exceed the benefits of having
it around. Some components don't even exist anymore, and everything else has
moved to Qt 5 and Plasma 5, which fixes most of the problems (from a cursory
look over the list, I didn't see a single item where I'm sure it's still an
issue). Currently existing issues are in bugs.kde.org, and that's really where
we should put them (we've moved from "basically every app has to be fixed" to
"there are a few special cases we've missed", the latter is well manageable
through bugreports, which has a lower chance of being ignored).

Even if we update the page today, there's no guarantee, not even a process to
make sure it's up to date in the future. IMO, that's what we have bugs.kde.org
for, a list on the wiki is useful for a short-lived, concerted effort, but not
for keeping track "indefinitely".
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org