Plasma mobile HID question: popup on long press

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Jan 8 20:25:19 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 09:02:41PM +0100, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Freitag, 8. Januar 2016 11:43:31 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > Here's an interaction that I would like to have:
> >
> > User long-presses on an element on screen, a popup shows a question with
> > several options and the user gets to decide what to do.
> >
> > Somehow I'm guessing that adding a MessageDialog and acting based on the
> > button that was pressed isn't what the Plasma HID spec suggests - but I'm
> > not sure where to find out what the spec does approve of :-)
>
> Hi Dirk,
> we have indeed not written a HIG about that yet, as we're not sure yet how
> long-press should to be used. Therefore, you real-world case can help as an
> example to base decisions on.
> What exactly is it that you're planning to do? What do people long-press on
> and which options are supposed to be provided?

Ha. I love being the guinea pig (Versuchskaninchen is even cuter).

We have a list with a LOT of elements. Think dozens added a day, for some
people who've used the app for a long time this can go into the thousands.
Many users don't interact with this list directly, they'll just ask the
app to process the list and apply the data from it to their list of dives.

(background: the list I'm talking about is a list of GPS locations - you
run the app in the background and based on some criteria it adds GPS
locations. think you are on a dive boat and let the app running; now after
you downloaded your dives into your dive list, Subsurface can match those
two lists and figure out the location where you went diving; easy)

But many of our users ask us for the ability to
a) see where these GPS fixes are on a map and
b) selectively delete some of these GPS fixes

It seemed rather intuitive to me to allow people to tap the gps fix in the
list and open a QLocation based map that shows a satellite image with a
place marker.
And to long press the entry and get a question "do you want to delete this
GPS fix?" with Yes/No answer.

/D