RFC: Put notifications in sidepanel like widget explorer

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Feb 22 17:39:02 UTC 2016

On Montag, 22. Februar 2016 13:52:20 CET Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 22 February 2016, Marco Martin wrote:
> > then the popup resize/move could be managed with the new morphingpopups
> > effect.
> >
> > maybe it would still look a bit too much "dancing" but would still give
> > enough breathing space for each applet, and wouldn't have the overwhelming
> > "everything at once" feel
>
> (and anyways, i am still on my policy of separing technology changes and ui
> changes, so when the default systray will be changed to the new
> implementation in 5.7 it will look as near ar possible to the current one,
> with any UI changes for 5.8)

Why is that? To prevent the introduction of bugs?
I'd think that from a communication perspective, technology changes are
actually the best moment to introduce UI changes because that makes the
technological change actually relevant for the user.
If we put "The systray has been re-done from scratch, but it looks and feels
exactly like before" in the release notes, why should users even care?