Restoring weather applet in kdeplasma-addons

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Feb 5 17:39:00 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

Am Freitag, 5. Februar 2016, 17:05:43 CET schrieb Marco Martin:
> On Friday 05 February 2016 16:23:38 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am missing the weather applet in my Plasma5 workspace. I found the
> > sources in kdeplasma-addons/applets/weather, but it seems not yet
ported
> > and is disabled from the build.
> >
> > So I would see to port it over now myself.
> >
> > A few questions I have:
> >
> > Q1:
> > Is anyone already looking into it?
> > Any general plans with weather info display in Plasma5?
>
> no, but as far i know the port of the weather dataengine in plasma-
workspace
> was started

I see. And found it now, plasma-workspace/dataengines/weather. Seems it
was started in 2014, but then lost focus of developers. Some "ions"
library is installed, but the dataengine plugin itself is not even build.

Will look some more around and see where the loose ends to pick up are.

> > Q2:
> > I see plasma_applet_weather is using some libplasmaweather from
> > kdeplasma-addons/libs/plasmaweather, which is also not yet ported and
> > disabled from build. Looks it is for code sharing with the
weatherstation
> > applet (which is unported and disabled from build as well).
>
> that was to have a common configuration window with the weatherstation
> applet, i don't think you need that anymore

Okay, note taken.

> > Does it make sense to keep the current structure with the shared lib
and
> > the applet, at least for the initial port of the weather applet?
> >
> > Q3:
> > Are there any Plasma5 applet tutorials, especially for porting?
> >
> > techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma5 seems about QQ2-only
apps.
> > So far I was planning to look for some reference e.g. at the comic
applet
> > and how it got ported.
>
> the qml of theapplet should be very easy to port, you can ignore the
shared
> library and have straight port of that qml + port of dataengines

Good, so will see to walk that path then now.

Thanks
Friedrich