Restoring weather applet in kdeplasma-addons

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:05:43 UTC 2016

On Friday 05 February 2016 16:23:38 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am missing the weather applet in my Plasma5 workspace. I found the
> sources in kdeplasma-addons/applets/weather, but it seems not yet ported
> and is disabled from the build.
>
> So I would see to port it over now myself.
>
> A few questions I have:
>
> Q1:
> Is anyone already looking into it?
> Any general plans with weather info display in Plasma5?

no, but as far i know the port of the weather dataengine in plasma-workspace
was started

> Q2:
> I see plasma_applet_weather is using some libplasmaweather from
> kdeplasma-addons/libs/plasmaweather, which is also not yet ported and
> disabled from build. Looks it is for code sharing with the weatherstation
> applet (which is unported and disabled from build as well).

that was to have a common configuration window with the weatherstation applet,
i don't think you need that anymore

> Does it make sense to keep the current structure with the shared lib and
> the applet, at least for the initial port of the weather applet?
>
> Q3:
> Are there any Plasma5 applet tutorials, especially for porting?
>
> techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma5 seems about QQ2-only apps.
> So far I was planning to look for some reference e.g. at the comic applet
> and how it got ported.

the qml of theapplet should be very easy to port, you can ignore the shared
library and have straight port of that qml + port of dataengines

--
Marco Martin