[KWin Question] - KWin authorize external docks to manipulate tasks and windows

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Dec 22 16:17:18 UTC 2016

Am 2016-12-21 22:58, schrieb Michail Vourlakos:
> Στις 21 Δεκ 2016 23:17, ο χρήστης "Martin Gräßlin"
> <mgraesslin at kde.org> έγραψε:
>
>> Am 21. Dezember 2016 21:19:02 MEZ, schrieb Michail Vourlakos
>> <mvourlakos at gmail.com>:

>> left
>>> nice to hear... :)

>> owned
>>>>>
>>> If I read it correctly, then the user could edit this file in
>> order to
>>> allow a dock
>>> executable to gain access, right? this is sufficient for me...
>>>
>>> So, a kcm could be added in order to edit this file and make this
>>> easier
>>> for the user, right?
>>
>> No, as that will be a system wide setting and root owned there will
>> certainly not be a kcm for it.
>
> So this doesnt fall in the category of all the other kcm's that
> require root password to apply their settings such as the time/date
> one and the sddm one...

We don't offer kcms for everything. This will fall into the category of
no KCM should be provided.

>> This is about the security of the system. It's distro or admin job.
>

> So the user that owns the root password should be able to edit that
> file, am I wrong?

If I ever see introductions by 3rd party providers on how to edit the
files so that the fancy tool works, I'll change the implementation ASAP.
This is about security of the system! Normal users shall not know how to
do that.

> Now that I am thinking it, even an installation from a package distro
> installation could also alter it, no?

Yes, that's the idea how we want to do it for Plasma. The package
installation will take care of it.

Cheers
Martin