[KWin Question] - KWin authorize external docks to manipulate tasks and windows

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 21:58:11 UTC 2016

Στις 21 Δεκ 2016 23:17, ο χρήστης "Martin Gräßlin" <mgraesslin at kde.org>
έγραψε:

Am 21. Dezember 2016 21:19:02 MEZ, schrieb Michail Vourlakos <
mvourlakos at gmail.com>:

>On 21/12/2016 09:16 μμ, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> send from wrong address...(or kmail is broken)
>>
>> Am 2016-12-21 20:15, schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> currently every window gets access. This will change soon. The
>>> implementation for authorization is already on the whiteboard left
>>> me :-)
>nice to hear... :)
>

>>> Basically the required interface will be restricted. The
>>> identification will be based on process ids with a root (!) owned
>>> global configuration file.
>>>
>If I read it correctly, then the user could edit this file in order to
>allow a dock
>executable to gain access, right? this is sufficient for me...
>
>So, a kcm could be added in order to edit this file and make this
>easier
>for the user, right?

No, as that will be a system wide setting and root owned there will
certainly not be a kcm for it.

So this doesnt fall in the category of all the other kcm's that require
root password to apply their settings such as the time/date one and the
sddm one...

This is about the security of the system. It's distro or admin job.

So the user that owns the root password should be able to edit that file,
am I wrong?

Now that I am thinking it, even an installation from a package distro
installation could also alter it, no?