Is it possible to add a different panel implementation for plasma?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 12:48:46 UTC 2016

On 21/12/2016 02:30 μμ, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 December 2016 13:48:50 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
>>         What an alternative panel needs and is not there:
>> 1. must be able to access all the options from plasma's PanelView
>> (strange thing is that this is already there for the javascript layout
>> scripts and not for qml). (options as thickness, maximumLength,
>> minimumLength, visibility are too important to not be accessed from 3rd
>> docks)
> what is the use case to be able to access that from the plasmoid directly, as
> opposed to somewhere somewhat external like a config dialog?
Now Dock as it was decided by the plasma developers provides its masking
and its contents through a secondary window not the original of the
plasma one (when the widgets are unlocked). So Now Dock must take care
two windows for their visibility states, sizes,  which one is on top of
the other and when

>> 2. it must be able to provide its own configuration window in the place
>> of the original one in order to hide functionality that it isnt relevant
>> and add functionality that it is only specific to the 3rd dock (in my
>> current implementation I could hide the toolBox and use my own
>> configuration window but I can not alter from it the settings provided
>> from PanelView).
>> I think that solving 1 is enough to solve 2 also...
> I think it makes sense to be able to launch a separate config dilaog *from* the
> panel controller
so you think that from design point view having two separate windows for
configuration is something logical?
A panel that has a different window to set its visibility mode and a
different window to set a zoom Factor, icon size etc. is it something
elegant to the user or intuitive?

>   completely replacing it, i don't really think so

why? you have the opinion that a configuration window fits all cases for
all panels?

regards,
michail