Is it possible to add a different panel implementation for plasma?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:12:44 UTC 2016

On Monday 19 December 2016 15:24:00 Michail Vourlakos wrote:
> > what does dbus have to do with this?
>
> I am going to change the implementation and instead of a plasmashell
> plugin I will provide my own shell...

please reconsider this.
Is not a good idea for several reasons
* will duplicate bugs
* nightmare to implement
* will be much worse as memory usage/startup times
* it will *never* work on wayland, as wayland is designed (also) exactly to
prevent processes other the one shell process to do funny things with windows
(such even just position itself) for obvious and serious security reasons

I like the idea of a 3rd party dock, and I'm open to add a  bit of flexibility
to the shell (still, under certain constraints), but if you go in the
direction of doing your own thing, it's not going to work for long and
wouldn't really get support from us.

--
Marco Martin